Pacing, kids on planes, Google Adsense, etc.


(OkCupid original post date: 6/3/12)

Have you ever had so much to do that you just end up doing nothing? I’m in a hotel room in South Carolina with all these things running through my mind that I should be doing, but all I’ve been able to do for the last 15 minutes is pace around the room, walking from the door to the balcony and back.

Yesterday I had to leave for the airport at 5am, and since I veer towards nocturnalism anyway, decided to just stay up instead of sleeping for a few crappy hours. Figured I could sleep on the plane later. Then while waiting in the security line at SFO, I started getting a flourish of ideas for “Nice Guy” posts about sexual tension, confidence, and physical appearance. I scribble these down on a notepad while kicking my luggage forwards in the line so it doesn’t get left behind. Then I get on the plane, and see about 6 strollers folded up and waiting to be loaded on. I’m thinking, fuck, I’m never going to be able to sleep on this flight. I find my seat. There are two twin boys who are about 2 years old sitting in front of me, and a girl who’s about 3-4 sitting behind me. Shit, right?

Nope. They were SO WELL BEHAVED. One of the boys was just chilling the whole time, sitting on his dad’s lap, looking around, surveying people. The girl behind me stuck her feet through to put them on my armrest a couple of times, but that was more cute than annoying. Thank you, parents who look after your kids on planes. So great.

So I manage to sleep for maybe 2 hours combined, on and off. I feel pretty crappy, like the kind of sleep deprivation you get when you do an all-nighter to write a paper you’ve had 6 weeks to do but only start the night before. I’m like a zombie while transferring planes in Georgia. I stop at a food court and poke around at some airport-quality roast chicken and rice. Then what? Got back on the plane for another hour, arrived in South Carolina, checked into the hotel, collapsed on the bed and slept like a baby.

Again, nope. That’s what I wish I did. First I had to take a bath, because baths are the most amazing things ever and I don’t have a bathtub at home. After that, I got back on the laptop and tried to get the non-WordPress version of the datingwtf website to at least 90% complete. It’s time to launch that thing soon. So then I spent a few hours reading about putting ads on a blog before going to bed. I’d applied to Google Adsense a few days ago but my application got rejected (woe) because they said I didn’t have enough content. I updated the new website so it had all the same content as the WordPress version, then applied again.

Voilà. This morning, I woke up to an email saying my application had been half approved, and now I need to stick some html code on the site so they can decide if they want to welcome me into the Google Adsense country club or send me a “thanks, but no thanks” letter. I put some code on the website, which currently looks like a blank ad, and now I have to wait for them to reassess. I think I was supposed to stick a few more hypothetical ads in there, but that’s when I got bored and started pacing. Setting up a website is not on my list of “fun” things to do. Writing advice for nice guys is fun. But the two things are combined, and I can’t do one without the other if I want to get the other website up, so now instead of copying more ad codes into the website or writing nice guy stuff, I’m pacing and writing this journal post on OkCupid. So. Productive. Maybe I should get more sleep.

Leave a Reply